KRASHEN'S CONTRADICTIONS

Today, I am going to talk about some of the contradictions that I have found in Krashen's theory. But, first of all, I would like to present his main ideas: 

  1. Learners must acquire a second language in the same way children learn their first. 
  2. We acquire a second language when we understand messages. The emphasis should be on meaningful interactions. 
  3. Getting the right level is crucial. Comprehensible input needs to be at the right level, which is "1 + 1". 
  4. Acquisition decreases if we are under stress or experience anxiety. Children learn more easily because their anxiety rate is lower. 
  5. Grammar cannot be explained. Students can only notice grammar and once it is internalized, the students draw upon a repertoire of acquired language. 
  6. The grammar & vocabulary of a language can only be acquired in a natural way/sequence. Unless students are ready, they won't acquire them. 

From my point of view, there are two points in which Krashen contradicts himself. Firstly, he states that learners acquire a language in the same way children learn their first. But, then, he says that we acquire an L2 when we understand messages. Hence, I think that this is a contradiction since children acquire and learn their L1 unconsciously while when you are learning an L2 you are aware of that. 

Secondly, Krashen considers that children learn more easily because their anxiety rate is lower. However, it is known that it depends on the child. 





Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog